This one-year course in Computer Science is designed to enable students gain a broad understanding of Information Technology. It is aimed at students of Leaving Certificate standard and leads to a QQI Level 5 Certificate in Software Development. Students typically go on to further study in colleges such as Carlow and Athlone I.T. and in some cases set up their own web business or go onto direct employment.
Information Technology is a major growth area for employment and this course will facilitate students’ integration into the workplace. The Information & Communications Technology Sector in Ireland attracts global investment with 9 of the top 10 US ICT companies operating here.
Over 1,150 multinational companies have already chosen Ireland as their strategic European base. There are over 200 IDA supported ICT companies, directly employing 35,700 people. The ICT sector accounts for more than €50 billion of exports from the Republic of Ireland per annum, and this is set to grow as companies take advantage of our competitive opportunities and knowledge-based economy.
The Computer Science Course consists of the following modules*:
- Computer Programming
- Software Architecture
- Work Experience
- Database Methods
- Web Authoring
- Programming Design
* Modules subject to change at discretion of college
This course will enable you:
- Learn the principles of software design
- Acquire the skills to construct reliable software and test programs effectively using the Java programming language
- Create graphical user interfaces and understand event management
- Design, construct, test, refine and maintain web pages and sites using HTML5 and CSS3
- Create and design databases for a range of applications in order to manipulate, interrogate and output information
- Improve your written and oral communications skills & work effectively as part of a team
- Explore future employment opportunities (including opportunities for self employment, contract work, work in the social economy, etc.)
Students must obtain 10 days’ work experience in a vocational related area. Garda Clearance is required for work experience.
Students should be of Leaving Certificate standard or Applied Leaving Certificate with distinction. Portlaoise College welcomes applications from mature students. Mature students are assessed on their merits and may not require the above qualifications.
Certificate in Software Development – QQI Level 5 Course Code: 5M0529
Eligible students may apply for a Further Higher Education Grant or Back to Education Allowance.
Continuous assessment applies all year round and represents a strong percentage of the final grade.
Students who successfully complete this course may apply to Third Level Institutes and Colleges through the QQI Higher Education Links Scheme.
Students may apply on-line from the 23rd January 2017. Facilities will be available in Portlaoise College Institute of Further Education for students to apply on-line on Thursday 9 March 2017 between 5pm and 7.00pm (Open Evening)
Please click here for more information: Fees Info
5 days per week - Monday to Thursday 9am - 3:55pm and Friday 9am - 1:15pm
For further details, please contact
Mr Darren Stones,
Mountrath Road, Portlaoise, Co. Laois
Tel: (057) 8621480 / 8621456
Each PLC course is subject to availability. Laois & Offaly ETB reserves the right to cancel or discontinue courses.