The LCVP includes what is in effect an additional Leaving Certificate subject called the “Link Modules”.
The primary goal of the LCVP is to prepare young people for adult life by ensuring that they are educated in the broadest sense, with an ability to cope and thrive in an environment of rapid change. Participants in the two-year programme are encouraged to develop skills and competencies fundamental to both academic and vocational success.
Throughout the programme students are encouraged to:
- Be innovative and enterprising
- Take responsibility for their own learning
- Adapt to changing circumstances
- Evaluate data and devise solutions to problems
- ommunicate their thoughts and ideas effectively
- Work with others as part of a team
- Investigate and plan career options
- Use information and communications technologies
- Investigate local businesses and community enterprises
- Learn from their experiences
These skills and qualities are equally relevant to the needs of those preparing for further education, seeking employment or planning to start their own business.
In order to be eligible to participate in the LCVP students must select 2 of their optional subjects from the designated Vocational Subject Groupings.
The portfolio has six items that are done in class and typed in school or at home:
|Core Items||Optional Items|
All 3rd Level Colleges recognise the L.C.V.P. for points purposes as follows:
Distinction (80-100%) 70 points
Merit (65-79%) 50 points
Pass (50-64%) 30 points